Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker for Movingsnow.com.
2014 Craftsman 28 in 277 cc Model 88395 Two-Stage Snow Blower Review
Is This The Best Snow Blower For You? Craftsman is offers a snow blower for every homeowner; from “good” models that are the least expensive on the market to a “premium” model that is larger than you tractor mounted snow thrower. This premium 28 inch snow blower (Craftsman 88395) has all the features you want like power steering and 4-way chute and will easily handle 12 inches or more snow on a 3 car drive 100 feet long.
by: Paul Sikkema
What makes this snow blower premium?
- Tool-less drift cutters, These are easily stowed so your snow blower doesn’t take up so much room when parked in your garage.
- Poly skid shoes that don’t mark your new patio or stained driveway yet are as tough as the steel shoes on other brands.
- Single handed 4-way chute control. The extended chute puts the snow where you want it and it so strong it has been driven over by a pickup and still bounces back to it’s original shape.
- The efficient Overhead Valve motor with electric start is sized to get you job done quickly and efficiently.
- Power Steering. The trigger controlled steering gives you full traction when you need it, yet is so easy to use even your “grandmother” can use it.
- Large, deep tread tires
- New HID LED light. This new light gives you the illumination you need to move snow all night long.
This snow blower by Craftsman is a premium snow thrower at a “value” price. If you follow Craftsman you know this size has been missing from the line-up for a few years now. With this new snow blower Craftsman has put all the features you asked for, yet they have kept the cost less than other brands.
What you can use this snow blower for: For paved and gravel surfaces, patios, sidewalks and walkways. All types of snow including heavy, wet blizzard snow. Because it has larger tires than most of the other snow throwers you can go out in the back yard and easily clean a spot off for your dogs or make a path out to the chicken coop. You can use this to clean your patio and deck and the poly skid shoes will not scratch the surface. This is the right snow blower if you have a stained concrete drive. This snow blower will easily handle 12 inch and deeper snow falls. The six forward and two reverse speeds will let you go slow for the heavy stuff and faster for the lighter snows.
[box type=”warning”] Here are a few tips to get the best out of this snowblower. 1. Read the operator’s manual and familiarize yourself with the operation of the machines BEFORE you have to blow snow with it. 2. The 3 or 5 year home protection plan can be a great value. Sears will fix your snow blower and give the satisfaction that it will work for you for the 3 or 5 years. 3. Practice using the chute so you really understand how to use it. The deflector has a tensioning adjustment that you can change it for light or heavy, wet snow. 4. When you get your new blower home, get it out of the box, learn how to start it and use it before the first snow. Take it out and practice with it in the driveway. (If there is a manufacturing issue, you will find it now instead of when the snow is 12 inches deep.) 5. Use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil (Marine) or Seafoam. Put it in your gas can when you fill it at the pump.[/box]
What you may not like: This snow blower is 28 inches wide and will probably fit through the side door of your garage. If you have to go through that side door to move snow make sure the door is at least 31 inches wide.
Owners of the 4-way chute control on this unit eight love it…..or hate it. What most owners don’t understand is the control is actually designed to use your hand to release the chute and your forearm to move it from side to side. This works very well because you use the strength of your forearm to change the rotation of the chute but it does take some getting used to.
Sears is the Official On-Line Retailer: Click Here To See Current Price, Order Online, Pick Up at your local Sears store, or have it delivered to your home: Craftsman 28 In 277cc Dual-Stage Snowblower w/ EZ Steer 16″ x 4.8″ X-Trac
Be Careful! This snow blower is sold through Sears and Sears Hometown Stores ONLY! You may find other “factory-direct discount” stores and websites trying to sell it, but make sure they are authorized Sears sales representatives.
Is This One Of The Best Rated Snow Blowers for 2012 – 2013? This snow thrower is new. It has not been rated yet. That said, the drive system has been around for many years and is one of the most dependable around. The transmission is proven reliable on this size. The impeller, auger gearbox and shear pin system has proven itself over the years.
Does This Get a Best Snow Blower Rating For 2012-2013? In the Good, Better, Best rating system this snow blower rates a “Best” for ease of use, durability and long life. Power Steering, 4-Way remote chute, electric start, large engine all factor into this “best” rating. It uses a strong Craftsman motor that has plenty of power for it’s 28 inch size. In fact the motor is one of the most dependable on the market today. Don’t be afraid to buy this snow blower if it fits your needs.
Is This One Of The Best Snow Blowers for the Money 2012-2013? I normally don’t give you my opinion, but I do expect owners to like this machine. It is a great value for the size, has plenty of power to handle any snow, and “creature features” like the power steering and 4-way chute that makes this one easy to use.
Customer Satisfaction: I don’t expect any issues, but here are a few tips to get the best out of this snowblower. 1. Read the operator’s manual and familiarize yourself with the operation of the machines BEFORE you have to blow snow with it. 2. The 3 or 5 year home protection plan can be a great value. Sears will fix your snow blower and give the satisfaction that it will work for you for the 3 or 5 years. 3. Practice using the chute so you really understand how to use it. The deflector has a tensioning adjustment that you can change it for light or heavy, wet snow. 4. When you get your new blower home, get it out of the box, learn how to start it and use it before the first snow. Take it out and practice with it in the driveway. (If there is a manufacturing issue, you will find it now instead of when the snow is 12 inches deep.)
Value: At around $999 it is a good value. Watch for special “Shop Your Way Rewards” sales, no interest or cash back with a Sears Card, Family & Friends, and Midnight Madness Sales.
Service & Parts Availability: With this snow blower you have the choice of calling 1-800-4MY-Home and have a tech come out and fix it OR take it to your local Sears and they will have it serviced for you. With a protection plan either way is no-charge to you.
Ease Of Use: This is a very easy snow blower to use because it has power steering and the 4-way chute. It doesn’t matter if you are 5 ft, 100 lbs or 6 ft, 350 lbs you will be able to easily operate this snow blower. Yes, you can buy this one for your wife and she will be able to use it. The power steering makes it a breeze to use. It is balanced well so you if you do have to lift up the front to go over an obstruction you easily can do it. Under normal snow removal conditions you will appreciate the traction this unit has. The extended chute allows you to put the snow exactly where you want it. Other features like good knobby tires, a headlight and electric start make this snow blower a much better choice for most people than the economy models.
Key Features and Benefits: (From Sears.com)
Move more snow with a more powerful engine and save time out in the cold. This 28 in. Craftsman® Dual-Stage Snowblower has a 277cc* 4-cycle OHV engine, EZ Steer for better maneuverability and 4-way chute control.
- 277cc* 4-cycle OHV Craftsman® engine provides more power, longer life, and improved fuel economy – no mixing of gas and oil required. Move more snow with a more powerful engine and save time out in the cold
- Push-button electric start allows for easy and sure starts in cold temperatures
- 28 in. clearing width and 21 in. intake height lets you clear more snow with each pass, ideal for large to extra large paved and gravel driveways and sidewalks
- 12 in. serrated steel auger and 12 in. impeller break up hard-packed snow and discharge heavy, wet snow
- 6 forward and 2 reverse, power-propelled speeds save time and energy, allowing operator to adjust speeds to match need
- Trigger controlled EZ Steer system allows operator to turn unit with ease, increasing maneuverability while reducing user fatigue and time
- 4 Way chute control – 190 degree chute rotation and pitch control with the ease of a joystick to discharge the snow where you want it, without leaving the operator’s position
- Extended chute design keeps a tighter discharge pattern to increase throwing distance and reduce snow blow back
- In-dash LED headlight illuminates the clearing path
- Tool-less drift cutters cut into taller snow drifts and drop snow in front of the snow thrower path to increase efficiency
- 16 in. x 4.8 in. X-Trac tires provide superior traction in heavy snow conditions
- Deluxe Glide-Tech™ skid shoes eliminate garage rust stains and driveway damage, by sliding along pavers and bricks
- Single hand operation eliminates starts and stops, freeing up a hand for on-the-go adjustments
- Mitten-grip starter handle – easy to grasp and turnover recoil start while wearing gloves
- Plow style handles for comfort and control with panel design for convenient shear pin storage
- 2-year limited warranty
- Limited lifetime warranty on upper and lower chute
- * As rated by engine manufacturer.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.