My Review of the 2011 Husqvarna Dual-Stage Snow Thrower 24 in 208cc Model 924HV Review. A great alternative to the Craftsman 88957.
It’s Not The Best Snow Blower. It’s The Best Snow Blower For YOU!
Why This Snow Blower?
I give the Craftsman 88957 my best value award for 201 , but I give this snow blower my “best 24 inch” award. The Craftsman wins on service and price, but if you are looking for the best 24 inch machine, this is the one. Here’s why:
1. Operator Controls: I like the operator controls on this snow blower. Everything is big and bold for gloved hands. The chute rotation locks in position solidly yet is easy to move with gloved hands. The deflect or control is a separate lever. This combination in my opinion is easier to use than the single joystick control on the Craftsman. I really like the wrap around handles. If you have used a snowblower with conventional handles you know that it is easy to get your coat caught in the handles when trying to maneuver in tight spots. The wrap around handles on the Husqvarana 924HV eliminate this minor frustration.
2. Tires: I wish the tires on theCraftsman 88957were larger and this snowblower has them. Husqvarna 16X5, Craftsman 13X4. These larger tires will let you get off the pavement and clean that spot in the back yard for your dogs easier.
3. Engine: 208cc LCT SnowKing, Craftsman – 179cc Powermore. The Husqvarana uses the LCT SnowKing engine. In case you don’t know this brand, LCT is made in China like the Powermore BUT it has been used here is the U.S. for quite some time now. Husqvarana, Ariens and others have been using it with great success. It has a great reputation and parts are readily available through Husqvarana Dealers. This is not a “clone” engine. LCT, Briggs&Stratton, and Powermore are the 3 “snow” engines I trust at this time.
4. Intake Height: The Husqvarna 924V has a 23 inch intake height, The Craftsman 88957. 21 inches.
5. Light: The Husqvarna 924V has a light. The Craftsman 88957 does not have one and you can’t install one.
6. Northern Tool: You may not know Northern Tool, but I do and I trust them. I will only suggest that you buy your snow blower from companies that have great service records and customer support and Northern Tool is one of the best. The company has been in business for over 30 years and has been on the Internet as long as anyone else. In addition they have 70 stores and still will mail you a full-line catalog. I have purchased quite a few items from them over the years including some high dollar turf sprayers and generators. They have always been great to do business with.
7. Optional Warranty: Northern Tool offers Service Protection Plus plans that include on-site service and accidental damage. Northern Tool and Sears are the only two dot-com’s that offer on-site repair on ALL the snow blowers.
8. Delivery: Northern Tool ships your snow blower right to your house by truck. (Sears uses a delivery team) Depending on where you live in the U.S. this charge is about $50 higher than the delivery charges from the other retailers. It comes in a box. This snowblower weighs about 250lbs so you and the truck driver should be able to put it on the ground. Once you get the box on the ground, cut out the end of the box and drag the snowblower out. Read the manual, make a few adjustments and you will be ready to move snow in about 20 minutes.
Value: This snow blower costs more than the MTD built units but it has features you can’t get on the comparable Craftsman, Yard Man, Troy-Bilt and Cub Cadet models.
The Husqvarna Model 924HV is designed to clear lots of snow quickly. This size snowblower is solidly built machine. It will give you years of trouble free use.
The chute controls, electric start, good tires and good balance make this snowblower easy to operate. Of course, this snowblower is not for everyone, but in my opinion this snow thrower is just the right size for driveways less than 16 by 100 feet.. (1-2 cars wide, can park 3-6 cars behind each other)
Ease Of Use: Deluxe chute and operator controls make this snowblower easy to use. These controls have been around for a few years and they have proven very dependable. The controls include an auger lock for one hand operation, and 110v Electric Start.
Is This SnowBlower Right For You? Read on.
This snowblower is a solid, dependable snow blower. It is one of the best 24 inch snow blowers for 2011. Compare this snowblower to the Craftsman 88957
The Husqvarna Model 924HV is designed for medium to heavy use (6-18 inches) and will clear snow quickly. It will handle deeper snows. But for the size, snowblower is a great value and the history of the snow thrower makes it a very reliable machine. This snowthrower has just the right amount of features to make it easy to use and last a long, long time. The drive system on this snow blower has been around for many years and it is just about bulletproof.
With a street price around $799 it is mid-priced for a 24 inch snowblower.
Is this the right snowblower for you?
Most people will be able to use this snowblower. It is balanced well and easy to use. The controls are simple and basic. It does not have power steering like some of the other models and will be hard to turn for smaller people. Northern Tool does not carry a Yard-Man with power steering so if you need this feature, look at the Craftsman 88691
This snowblower will go through a door 26 inches or larger. The 24 inch width and the skid shoes need 26 inches or more. If you regularly use the garage side door or go out the back to clean a spot off the patio this model will easily fit through your doors.
Do you have to put the snow in precise locations? My neighbor has a spot where he has to blow the snow into a 4 foot wide area. The remote chute controls allows for precise and quick chute changes.
Here is a rundown of the features and benefits of this new snowthrower:
The Husqvarna Performance series snow throwers were developed with homeowners in mind who live in areas with moderate to heavy annual snowfall accumulation. This Husqvarna Dual-Stage Snow Thrower clobbers heavy snow with a sturdy two-stage auger/impeller system and a 23in.H intake. With a heavy-duty auger housing and an aggressively serrated auger, you are ready for any storm mother nature delivers. SnowKing engines, precision controls and features focused on comfortable operation eliminate concerns about adverse weather conditions. single-hand controls that allow the operator to rotate the chute or adjust deflector angle while the wheels and auger are engaged. This snowblower is made in the U.S.A.
FEATURES + BENEFITS
Push button starter plugs into a wall outlet, so a dead battery will never be an obstacle
Headlight extends working hours
Corrosion-resistant powder-coat frame
Heavy-duty shoes for longer wear
Blower Type, Impeller
Clearing Width (in.) 24
Auger Type 12 Standard
Gross Torque 9.00 ft.-lbs.
Start Type, 110v Electric
Forward Speeds 6
Reverse Speeds 2 Throw Distance (ft.) Up to 65. This is much farther than the claimed specs on the Craftsman 88957
Engine Displacement (cc) 208
Intake Height (in.) 23
Discharge Chute Rotation (deg.) 180
Discharge Chute Material Steel
Impeller Size (in.) 12
Tire Size (in.) 16 x 5
Manufacturer Warranty 24 months parts / 24 months labor
Ship Weight 240.0 lbs