This Craftsman snow thrower Is different than the others in the line. It is manufactured by Husqvarna. You may not even know Sears has this big machine because it is normally not displayed in the Sears retail stores. It has a 14.5 Torque Rating Briggs & Stratton 1450 Series engine and 8 speeds (6 forward, 2 reverse). This snow thrower has a 30 in. clearing width and 23 in. intake height. Power steering allows for easy maneuverability. Single hand control allows you to operate the unit with one hand, leaving the other free to make adjustments, etc.
This unit has a unique intake that pushes large drifts down into the serrated auger faster than most other units. If you have ever had the snowthrower get stuck in a drift and had to raise it because the snow was not “breaking” above the auger you will appreciate this design.
Other features I like.
- The snowblower has a METAL chute with a quick chute control that allows you to rotate the chute.
- Power Steering – allows for easy maneuverability.
- Remote Chute Deflector – Raises and lowers the height of the deflector with one hand
- Single Hand Control – Allows you to control the unit from either side by using one handle, enabling you to operate the chute with one hand & without having to stop.
- Remote Chute Rotation – Allows you to rotate the chute up to 180 degrees so you can easily throw snow in any direction.
- Simple trigger action releases each wheel.This allows zero-turn in either direction
- Serrated Auger – enhances performance of the snow blower by enabling you to plow through heavy and hard snow conditions.
I have no real concerns about this snow thrower but you should be aware of the following.
- Since this is not a normal stocked item in the retail stores they will not have parts (belts, shear pins) in stock for it. If you don’t get the optional protection plan be sure and order a set of belts and extra shear pins right away. Use the link to your right under “Useful Sites” for Sears Parts Direct to get the parts.
- It is probably too big to fit through the side door of your garage. It is a heavy duty, large machine. At 30 inches and 14.5 torque it is the largest homeowner model in the Craftsman line and weighs almost 300 lbs.
- It is also the most expensive of the Craftsman Homeowner snowthrowers. It retails for about $1199.00
My Opinion: If you need a large snowthrower or one that’s easy to use this is a good machine for your money. Being manufactured by Husqvarna it is 100% made in the United States.
I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE THE OPTIONAL PROTECTION PLAN FOR THIS SNOW THROWER. If you have the need for this large of snowblower, you are most likely going to use it a lot. The optional protection plan at $199 for 5 years is a good value for this machine. All parts and labor is covered for any problem you may have with it for the full five years. AND they come to your home to repaire the unit. You don’t have to bring it anywhere. The only items not covered under the protection plan are tune-ups and flat tires. If you use Sears for your tune-up you get 10% off the parts.